Monday, January 25, 2010

I turned 32 this week! According to pop culture and tv commercials, I am old. VH1 and MTV reality shows are no longer an option. I may have a shot at Lifetime or Bravo. I love commercials.

I love birthdays - mine, yours, whomever. Love 'em. When I hear birthday, I think of sugar, birthday hats, and candles. People smiling and cheering. Why doesn't everyone feel a bit younger on their birthday? You can tell yourself you feel so much older, so tell yourself you feel so much younger. Maybe you will.

I feel young this year. With everything that's happened, I am young. I am often the youngest sitting in the waiting rooms that I sit in, the youngest sitting in the chair. When I tell people about breast cancer, one of the first things they comment on is my youth. I have my whole life ahead of me. I hope I am less than half my age when I die. That's awesome. I haven't felt this young in a long time. I wonder where I'll be at this time next year...?

Last week was a mix of feeling better, then feeling exhausted. My toughest challenge is the fatigue, as they call it. It's really frustrating. I have spent some great time with friends lately and am going to try to be a bit more accepting of the fatigue and work with it rather than fight it like I do. I was out and about this weekend with friends - running errands, window shopping, etc. and I slept like a rock. And then I slept again this afternoon. And I'm going to bed early. I'm tired. Like my nose hairs, I'm looking forward to getting my energy back.

Friday, I went into the hospital for a shot to keep my ovaries shut down for a bit - hoping for a continuation of the current symptoms, rather than a nice return of the very first shot. So far so good. Then, I also went through all my side effects to date, and was very glad to learn that the bone and muscle soreness was actually a side effect. Also, I had caught a sinus infection somewhere and can take Sudafed.

The nurse also said I'm at the point where people start to realize they have cancer, if they haven't really internalized it. That's about right, I guess. I love precedent.

Tomorrow I go in for a MUGA scan, for my heart, to check on any damage that may be a side effect. I'm sure this will turn out just fine. Then, Thursday is my 5th treatment - which seems crazy! It's really gone quickly. I am so looking forward to being done.

Random thought: Dove's Body Wash is not an acceptable substitute for bubble bath. FYI.

Have a great week!

Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment