So, Tuesday I went in for my MUGA scan, which checks out the blood flow through my heart, (I believe.) All was going well - they started an IV to inject my blood with radioactive dye as they don't use the port for this. I had this MUGA procedure done prior to my surgery to get a baseline for any changes that the Herceptin would impose. The nurse asked if I wanted to go to the busy waiting room until they called me or the secondary one with less people. So we head down to the secondary waiting room and she is asking me questions...
"How tall are you?"
"5.5"
"How much do you weigh"
"About 1... um... I think... Last time..." (And I started to remember the last time I had this shot - I sat down to read about the Kardashian's wedding plans in a magazine and shot bolt upright and ran into the nurses station because I was pretty sure I was going to be sick. They led me to the bathroom, but I was fine - the nausea passed.)
"Um... Ahh... I think I'm going to be sick..."
And sure enough, as I sat in the first chair, I threw up. The nurse knew the score - and had a garbage can ready and I was proud of my ability to manage myself. However, out of the corner of my eye, a man stood up, hesitated, and walked out. When I finally looked up through the nurses that surrounded me - the entire waiting room was totally empty.
This works, people! This seems to be an effective way to have waiting room privacy! I have unearthed one of the secrets of hospital regulars!
The nurses came back concerned as none of them had any memory of anyone throwing up from the injection - they were pulling at my clothing a bit to make sure I wasn't turning red or breaking into a bad rash, but I assured them I was fine. In fact, I was familiar. I re-connected with the stomach I have known and loved my whole life. One thing that amazes me about these chemo treatments is that I have thus far avoided throwing up. I have boat loads of anti-nausea medications that I take to prevent it and they work like a charm. My usually MO health-wise is that my stomach is the first thing to go. Hearing the nurses' concern that no one has ever thrown up from this was, in a way, comforting. Back to normal.
Tuesday and Wednesday were high energy days for me. My body is exhausted, but my mental energy is working out. This gets me in trouble as I am also just a space cadet lately. I get so distracted and feel like I can't focus on anything. The doctors and nurses call this "chemo brain" and assure me that my focus will return. It's kinda funny - I can start a story and forget the point half-way through. My friends are used to it and laugh. It's tougher when focusing on important things - but I counteract much of it by extensive list making. That helps.
A side effect of mental energy and physical tiredness is piles of stuff everywhere. I took down all my holiday decorations and put them into piles, because I try to make as few trips up and down the stairs as possible. Then, when I get to the office to clear that off Christmas stuff, I get distracted and decide to clean out that closet. Then I get wiped out from that, set that junk aside and bring the holiday stuff back out to the living room. Bring a load downstairs, grab clean laundry on the way up and decided to not only put it away, but it's about time that I clean out my closet. This gets half way done before I fill the basket with dirty laundry and start a load downstairs. Then I decide that I need to work on the office again, but on the way realize that I can't see the kitchen table. So I start that. Then take a bag of recycling to the porch and realize I can clean up recycling. Until breaking down boxes wears me out - back to the closet... All night long. Many piles, great intentions, I swear there's a method to my madness.
Thursday I had my fifth chemo treatment - only one left! I slept for the first 45 minutes under their warm blankets and my hoodie, but then met a great lady next to me and talked with her and her family for a few hours. That made the time pass quickly. I enjoy my time in the chemo room - it's a good time to relax and know that the chemicals they are giving me, no matter how toxic, are healing to my body in a way. At least that's how I look at it.
Usually I'm good until at least Saturday night with my stomach and tiredness, but today I was exhausted. I woke up late, did a little work, then fell asleep with my computer on my lap and slept through my 1pm Neulasta shot appointment. This isn't a big deal - they just give it to me when I show up. I wonder what time I would have woken up had my good friends from Grand Forks not called from outside my house. We went to the hospital, had a bit to eat afterward, and came back to my house for the weekend. I laid down to take a quick nap at about 530 and woke up at 10. It's looking like I'm a bit more tired this time around. They are cumulative I guess!
I am so excited to have my friends from GF in town - they are like my parents away from home, but Bill has dirtier jokes. Joni brought down her Kitchen Aid mixer to make all kinds of banana breads and foods and I have no doubt that we will eat and bake and watch tv to our hearts content. Joni calls her baking "Joni Love," and I have been the willing and lucky recipient for over a decade.
My final chemo is set for Friday, Feb. 19th, I believe. I am looking forward to moving forward and getting some strength and coherent thought back into my life. I can't wait for the days when I have my regular energy back and feel like I can do more than one or two things a day! I will fully admit that it all goes much smoother if I don't fight it and just roll with everything. I think that's the lesson everyone has been trying to teach me.
So, all's well in this camp for a bit. I'm in the home stretch and am finally learning to relax a bit I think.
Carrie
Friday, January 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Carrie,
ReplyDeleteThis is Meghann's mom and I went through the same situation as you just a year ago. Not exactly the same. I would just like to say that you do an excellent job of putting into words what happens when someone has breat cancer. I could not even think like that a year ago. I check your posts every once in awhile and yes it will be great to have the treatment completed.