I just re-read the last post - I get pretty crabby when I'm tired. I tried to pick fights with my dogs by growling at them, but they didn't get it. I vaguely remember growling at my mom too, but I don't think she bit either.
I'm excited to go back to school tomorrow! Yay! I even tested out all my school pens to make sure they write right! What a dork!
More so than the work load, I am excited to see my cohort and have the weekly structure. Plus, this semester we get to be in the newer building with modern amenities - it even has a cafe that will sell me lattes and rice crispy bars that will assist in my classroom studies. Its all up hill from here. AND it's closer to the parking lot. I might even be able to use my auto start from a window!! The possibilities!!
I unplugged my TV on Friday - so far so good. I think it's resulted in higher productivity in general. Duh, right? I love TV - but I realize that I love TV without commercials and I don't have a DVR anymore. Commercials kill it for me and I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they may be the root of all social and economic problems we experience today. Yep. That's a fact. I decided.
It's amazing how I end up wanting crap that I have absolutely no use for. For instance, I watched part of an infomercial which I landed on (by trying to get away from other commercials on other channels that all seem to be on at the same time) for a hand-held steam cleaner that has attachments and is supposed to be some sort of miracle. Wow, I thought. I have to have one of those.
Wait - I DO have one of those! I bought it a few years ago when I saw an infomercial for an amazing steam cleaner with attachments that is supposed to clean everything! In fact - it's in the basement!
So I brought it up and filled it with water and untangled the cord and plugged it in and waited for it to heat up... and spent 5 minutes trying to clean my bathroom while making a mess because steam makes water, which was now all over my sink and bathtub... so I went to get a towel to wipe up all the stuff I had just "cleaned" and realized that it didn't look any different than it had before, only wiped off. I would have done better with a Clorox wipe. Waste of money.
Another example - I saw a commercial for one of the dumb dating shows that I have spent way too much time watching. This particular episode had the female contestants hooked up to a lie-detector test with the others asking them questions. "Have you ever..." blah blah blah... "Have you ever had a pimp?" dun dun dun... What?! What is the criteria for selection for this show? What time is it on? This is an EXCELLENT use of my time...
One set of commercials I find particularly ridiculous are the beauty commercials. Had I only known I had so many flaws, I would have started using the aging-preventative, anti-wrinkle, anti-eye circle, super expensive regime of dermatologist invented miracles YEARS ago. I had no idea that my skin's DNA was flawed and I can't wait to go to your beauty counter to get an on the spot DNA reading. And I absolutely agree that my current tube of Scope-infused whitening Crest doesn't hold a candle to your Aquafresh that can withstand a sonic blast of "fresh" and fix everything that's tooth-related.
But I digress...
I realized this week that I enjoy shaving my head. I find it fun - and I'm getting very good at it. I use a men's Schick Quattro (with four blades, hence the quattro) and a little bit of shaving cream - and I whip that razor across my across my bald head with commercial-worthy exaggeration. Never in my life did I think that I would be shaving my own head, repeatedly. How cool is that? Plus, no hair dryer, no shampoo and conditioner, no curling iron, no parting on the left... So easy.
I also realized I have a new stance. Now that my head is bald, my hand can grip it like a small basketball. Now one hand rests contentedly on my head while my other is free to do productive things. It's like a second hip, really. (or a third, as I just realized that I have two already...)
Random thought - I like Gummi Bears, so I should just buy a bag of Gummi Bears. Eating 10-15 gummi vitamins a day isn't very cost effective.
Random thought 2 - Who says Holiday decorations have to come down before January? Especially now that there are fake trees and garland that won't dry out and start on fire? What's wrong with having the word "Joy" hanging out on stuff for a little longer? Why end a year with "Joy," but not start one with it?
I have my fourth chemo on Thursday already - time flies. I'm curious again to see how this one will go and how I'll feel. I'm really focusing on hanging onto my eyebrows - I keep hoping that they get overlooked by the whole process. The other day I was reading something and saw a few short hairs on the paper and I started to freak out as I realized that I don't have any other hair to shed. So I ran into the bathroom to check on them and make sure they were still there. I turned my head side to side and made sure they hadn't thinned out in strange places, but they looked fine. My eyelashes were still there. Hm. I walked back into the living room and saw my little short-haired dog. Duh again.
Have a great day!
Tuesday, January 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
While reading this, I caught myself thinking "man, if I was having a bad day, I could so read this post to get me through it". Then I thought, "I know we all have bad days, but I would much rather take one of my bad days over a day of chemo-related side effects."
ReplyDeleteMy point is, I'm completely taken back by how you are handling this, Carrie. I love your sense of humor...I loved it before the big C...and I still love it. (Especially because I can relate so much to the random thoughts happening.)
Jen
This totally made my day. You crack me up! And -- thanks for stopping by to see my dad at Abbott. He really liked that. You're so thoughtful! - Erica
ReplyDelete