Thursday, November 19, 2009

Morphine and Ice Cream

I'm back.

I'm eating again as well. My mouth is healing quickly as my neutrophil count increases and I swear that I will never take my mouth for granted again. Wow - that was amazingly painful and unnerving.

I was doing great until after dinner on Friday night when I started to have some stomach issues, then started to get a fever, which went away a few hours later. Saturday I stayed in bed as I could feel myself getting sick and knew from talking to the nurse that my counts were at their lowest. The nurse also made it clear that I would be apt to catch anything I came into contact with and that if my fever went above 100 that I should probably go into the ER. My mouth started to get much more painful, so I ate Jello and an ice cream until trying out some mac & cheese at dinner time. My throat started to get sore that night and my fever came back higher - from anywhere to 99.8 to 100.8. The on-call oncologist (ha!) said to stay home as I wasn't shaking or shivering, and my fever went back down. I thought I was in the clear.

That is, until Kelly called on Sunday. "Why didn't you go into the hospital?!" "Because the doctor said I would be fine." "Who did you talk to?" "The on call oncologist (ha)." "That can't be right. I think you should go in." ... 5 minute time delay... "Jenny is on her way over to bring you to the ER. I called today's on-call doctor and he said to come in immediately. I can't believe that you didn't go in last night - why didn't you call me? I would have told you to go in!"

So Jenny shows up at my door with bags of groceries that can either be put into a blender for a smoothie, popsicles, fudge-sicles, a smattering of healthy soy things, and a squash (which is not going into a smoothie under any circumstances). At this point I am very glad to be going to the hospital. I can hardly talk because it requires mouth movement and am out of the only food I can eat - Jello.

Long story short - Kelly was right. I really needed to be in the hospital as my counts were freakishly low - much lower than the doctors had expected they drop to and much lower than is safe. So, they admitted me into a special "girl in the bubble" room until my counts went up, which they expected to be 3-4 days. I spent three nights there in all.

Maybe I'm strange - people think I'm joking when I tell them how much I like airports. I can also say that I like hospitals. Maybe it's just Abbott. I don't know. But I really feel comfortable there, well cared for, and that I'm getting the treatments I need to feel better. The nurses are fantastic, the doctors I have been in contact with are great, and I have my own room. Plus, they bring me food. AND the nurses bring me ice cream.

One example of why I love the hospital...

"Good morning Carrie - how are you feeling?"
"Good morning - I'm ok - my mouth is kinda sore... May I please have a shot of morphine?"
"Sure! Let me go grab that - is there anything else I can get for you? Are you hungry?"
"Um... do you have any raspberry sherbet?"
"Yep - I'll be right back."

Sweet.

My mom drove down on Sunday and hung out at the hospital with me during the day. When I got home, my mouth was feeling a great deal better, though not totally healed. I was able to eat soft foods easier, so mom heated up some homemade soup and made me a grilled cheese sandwich - I gummed down two bowls and a second sandwich. Oh food, how I missed you.

I am now basically quarantined to my house and the outdoors - no enclosed public buildings that may have cooties. No restaurants or stores or anyplace fun. I am ok with this as I have a greater understanding of how vulnerable I am right now and respect that.

One lesson I have learned this past week is that I am not in control of my body right now and I need to understand and accept that. No matter how positive my attitude is or how many Tylenol I take, my body is going through changes that I cannot control. I am learning to work with the changes, but I need to respect that I am not as strong as I am accustomed to being and cannot respond to these changes as I would normally respond to others.

I had a hard time with that this week - maybe a tougher time with this concept than the overall fact that I have breast cancer. Having cancer, to me, was a diagnosis with a solution and an end date. I had options, I chose my option. I had doctor appointments, which I went to. I had surgery, and recovered. I need chemotherapy, which I started. I got sick, and that's where I got lost. It freaked me out a bit that my body isn't reacting to the treatments as well as I thought it would. I thought that being young and healthy would allow me to ease my way through this without too much change. I knew I would lose my hair and that I would get a bit sick, but I wasn't prepared for my body to stop working on my behalf. Now I know more, and will care for it accordingly.

So, I'll be at home. Chillin' with the 'Lil Bigs. (That's my dog, Bixby;) I might even get Ginger for the weekend. (I call her 'Lil Jiggs, only because it rhymes. She's not little, or jiggly.)

Random thought - I wonder if anyone named their pet Chemo? I know a Kila, and a Nemo... maybe if you spelled it with a K - Kemo? It's a cool sounding word, but maybe strange connotations... hm. I'll ask Alice... when she's ten feet tall...

Carrie

6 comments:

  1. hi carrie! one of the best restaurants i went to on maui was Kimo's - kimomaui.com

    so glad you are home. let me know if i can drop anything off in your mudroom. we are sending you lots of love. katharine, eric and isa

    ReplyDelete
  2. My God CArrie you poor thing. The chemo sounds harder than the damn cancer! We are thinking of you and sending lots of positive thoughts your way.

    Mary Simeonoff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie....Our family is known for having beautiful heads - as you can see when you look in the mirror! You continue to touch so many people with your story. I have one beautiful,strong and talented niece....love you.....Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really glad to hear that you are feeling better. If you need anything just let me know. Take care!
    Kelly Kadrlik

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me know if you need some hair - I gots a lot.
    And I can bring over some of my mom's scarves sometime if you are interested in that at all.

    Glad you are feelin' better - was worryin' about you a little!
    Meg

    ReplyDelete